You don’t know how to learn a language while being the most efficient? Maybe you need to discover what type of learner you are. We all know the visual, verbal and aural learners. But did you know that there are 7 types of learners? What type of learner are you? What would be the most efficient method to learn a language? Find out in this article.
17 Types of Learners and What It Means
- Visual: You prefer using pictures, images, and diagrams.
- Aural (auditory, musical): You prefer using sound, songs and music.
- Verbal (linguistic): You prefer using words, both in speech and writing.
- Physical: You prefer using your body and hands.
- Logical (mathematical): You prefer using logic, reasoning, and systems.
- Social (interpersonal): You prefer to learn in groups or with other people.
- Solitary (Intrapersonal): You prefer to work alone and use self-study.
Most of the time, people don’t have a unique way to learn and they combine two (or more) learning style. You have to find what works best for you. Find out what type of learner you are to discover what learning methods will work best for you.
2How to Learn as a Visual Learner?
If you’re a visual person, it means that you will learn better with diagrams, colors, pictures and charts. “A picture is worth a thousand words”, like they say. So maybe you’ll have to change the way you’re studying by adding some visual cues. Don’t hesitate to organize your notes in a binder by categories : vocabulary, grammar, conjugation…
You can also use color codes for your vocabulary. If you’re learning French, you might want to choose a special color for feminine nouns, and another color for masculine nouns. Color codes can also be useful to differentiate exceptions, irregular verbs, etc.
3How to Learn as an Aural Learner?
Auditory or musical people tend to learn better with sounds and songs. When learning a new language, aural learners will thrive with songs, TV shows or movies. Try repeating the dialogues, or just sing along to your favorite foreign singers. You can also try some audio lessons.
If you take language classes, don’t hesitate to interact with the teacher and listen carefully to his accent. And when you’re reviewing your lessons, speak out loud and record yourself. At first, it will seem silly, but as an aural learner, you will learn more quickly when listening to yourself.